Crowne Plaza Queenstown is an upscale hotel, located in the heart of Queenstown. We are part of IHG, which is the world’s leading hotel group, however you may know us as one of our nine hotel brands including InterContinental, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts.
Crowne Plaza Queenstown is owned and operated by IHG Queenstown Ltd & Carter Queenstown Ltd
We are located at 93 Beach St, Queenstown, 9300 New Zealand.
Creating shared value for IHG, our owners, the environment and the local community
Being a Responsible Business is part of IHG’s DNA. It underpins each of our three strategic corporate priorities of preferred Brands, talented People and best-in-class Delivery. As well as helping IHG make a positive long-term contribution to the communities in which we operate, behaving in a responsible way gives us a competitive advantage. By enhancing the reputation of our brands and empowering our people, we are able to create value for all of our shareholders and stakeholders in the long term.
As one of the world’s leading hotel companies, with a broad portfolio of brands, we have an unrivalled opportunity to bring about positive change in the environment and community both at a local and global level. Each one of our 4,697 hotels is a central part of its community, from creating jobs and stimulating local economic opportunities, to managing their environmental impact in a responsible way and providing shelter in times of need.
Globally, we are channelling these efforts to use hospitality as a route to more sustainable communities and better lives. This means developing new and better ways to build and run our hotels, creating sustainable value for our brands, business and stakeholders, as well as addressing our social and environmental challenges.
Our three bespoke Corporate Responsibility (CR) programmes are a key part of this and we work very closely with our owners and colleagues, leveraging everything we can into a few powerful initiatives. In fact our flagship initiatives concentrate on two areas where we can make the most difference – be it through environmental sustainability with IHG Green Engage, or to the local community with IHG Academy and the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme.
IHG Green Engage
IHG Green Engage helps us manage and minimise our impact on the environment by tracking the use of energy, carbon and water and the management of waste in our properties along with the associated costs. With the support of the IHG Brand behind us we are building on our previous year’s success, our targets have now increased to a 10% reduction in energy, carbon and water and a 10% increase in landfill diversion which we are well on our way to achieving. Environmental sustainability is at the heart of our business and we will continue to strive for a better world for future generations through our green solutions action plans, strategies and initiatives.
The IHG Academy continues to go from strength to strength and we now have over 300 IHG Academy programmes in 50 countries, with 144 programmes added during 2013. This unique collaboration involves our hotels joining forces with local schools, colleges and community organisations to help people develop the skills they need to secure a job in the hotel sector. While the IHG Academy operates within a global framework, each programme is distinct and reflects local needs. Through the IHG Academy we were able to build skills and improve employability of nearly 6,400 participants in 2013 equating to 32% of our 2013-2017 target of 20,000 people. We continue to develop the programme, enhancing opportunities for more people in the places where we operate.
IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme
The IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme helps our hotels support guests, colleagues and local communities in times of disaster with financial support, vital supplies and accommodation. In 2013, we allocated funds from the IHG Shelter Fund, which is built up through fundraising efforts of colleagues in our hotels and corporate offices throughout the year, to support 15 disasters across eight countries. The disasters we supported included super Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines; floods in Jakarta, Buenos Aires, Canada and Mexico; tornadoes in the Midwestern United States and wildfires in Arizona, US.
Through the programme and other community contributions we have been able to contribute $1.92million in monetary donations and in kind support against our 2013-2017 target of $10million and we will continue to help our hotels and local communities build resilience and come back to full strength as quickly as possible in the face of adversity.
We are very proud of what we have achieved so far, but there is always more to be done. This report details our approach to CR and outlines our key achievements, as well as the priorities and actions we are taking to achieve our ambitious targets. Along with helping us create a more positive impact, our targets and core programmes send a clear signal of our commitment to doing business responsibly within the communities in which we operate.
Chief Executive Officer
Your privacy is important to Crowne Plaza Queenstown. To help protect your privacy, we adhere to the following:
• This Web site will explicitly ask when it needs information that personally identifies our customers or allows it to contact our customers (“Personal Information”). When possible, this Web site will provide customers with the means to make sure that Personal Information is correct and current.
• The Web site and its service providers use Personal Information to operate the sites, provide services, and to inform our customers of new features, services, and products. This Web site may also carefully select other companies to send our customers information about their products or services (a “Secondary Use”).
• If this Web site intends to use Personal Information for a Secondary Use, we will not do so until we have provided our customers with an opportunity to affirmatively select such service.
• This Web site may disclose Personal Information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) comply with applicable law or with legal process served on Crowne Plaza Queenstown or the site: (b) protect and defend the property rights of Crowne Plaza Queenstown or this site, and (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect personal safety of users of Crowne Plaza Queenstown hotels, the site, or the public.
• If, at any time, a customer believes that this Web site has not adhered to these principles, please notify Crowne Plaza Queenstown by email at CrownePlaza.Queenstown@ihg.com and we will use all commercially reasonable efforts to promptly determine and correct the problem.